Gantt Chart Elements
At the top of the Gantt chart panel you can see the toolbar, which allows you to access Gantt configuration, control display options, show/hide resources and do a few other things.
Gantt chart has the elements described below.
Use the Zoom control in the toolbar to zoom in, zoom out or select the desired zoom level.
To scroll, use the horizontal or vertical scroll bars or hold Shift key, click anywhere in the chart and drag to move the chart horizontally or vertically.
Use the Today button to navigate to the current date. Click the "Scroll to the focused task" button to navigate to the task currently in focus.
Start Date and Current Date
Green vertical line represents the project start and the orange vertical line shows the current time. Mouse over the points that represent them on the timeline to see the exact dates and time.
Task Bars and Groups
- Structure elements are represented in the chart with bars. Clicking the task bar will show the Task Details Popup.
- Position of the task on the timeline can be calculated automatically based on existing dependencies and estimate or set manually by specifying its Start or Finish Dates.
- The task bar can show the task progress. Progress can be calculated based on time tracking or status of the issue itself, or based on it's sub-tasks. To show/hide progress, use the Display Options menu in the toolbar.
- If a task has children in a structure, it can be shown as a Group (this can be set in the Gantt configuration Scheduling section). Group start/end dates and duration in this case are calculated automatically based on the start/end dates and duration of the elements it contains. Its own start/end date and duration values, these values are ignored.
- If a task is a part of the critical path, it is shown red. The rest of the tasks are blue. You can show/hide critical path highlighting through the Display Options menu in the toolbar.
Task Details Panel
Clicking a task will open the panel with the task details.
You can see the following details:
- Start and finish dates. These values can be set manualy or can be calculated based on of the task duration and dependencies.
- Work. The effort required to complete the task.
- Duration. The time it takes to complete the task.
- Progress. Can be calculated based on the task's own progress or based on the child issues.
- Scheduling. Shows whether the task is scheduled manually (the start or end date or both are set manually) or automatically (based on the project start date and existing dependencies).
- Maximum Units. Shows the maximum resource capacity, which can be used on this task. For example, if a resource has capacity of 5, but the Max Unit setting is 1, only 1/5 of the resource will be used to work on this task. If the Max Unit is set to 5 or more - the entire resource will be used and the task can be done 5 times faster.
- Resources. Shows the resource assigned to the task and the resource time zone and calendar.
Dependencies are shown as arrows between the tasks bars. Clicking the arrow will show the dependency details.
To show/hide dependencies in the chart, use the Display Options menu in the toolbar (the dependency will still be applied, but will not be shown).
You will see dependencies highlighted with red if there are cyclic dependencies or dependencies between groups and their children, which do not allow to schedule tasks correctly.
Gantt Chart can show critical path. Tasks included in the critical path are highlighted with red color. To switch off this highlighting, use the Display Options menu in the toolbar.
Display Options menu in the toolbar allows you to select, what elements should be shown in the chart. This includes:
- Issue Key
- Critical Path
Milestones due dates shown next to them are always visible regardless of selected Display Options.
If there are any inconsistencies in the source data (for example, a cycle of dependencies), the Gantt Info link will be shown on the right side of the Structure status bar next to the Structure Info link. Click the link to see the panel with the details.
In case of conflicting links, you will see the notification that some links were ignored and the list of those links. Click the issue key of the link to set focus on that issue and show it in the chart.
If you do not have permissions to edit Gantt chart, you will see the corresponding message in the same panel.