Clicking a task bar will display the Task Details panel, which contains information about the task's timeline and resources.
The Task Details panel displays the following details about a task:
- Start and Finish dates - These values can be set manually, be based on sprints or be calculated based on the task's duration and dependencies.
- Sprint - Shows the sprint the task is assigned to (if available). This can also be used to assign the task to a sprint or reassign it to a new sprint. Note: Tasks cannot be assigned to or removed from closed sprints.
- Work - The effort required to complete the task. You can enter/update the work estimate directly from here.
- Duration - The time it takes to complete the task.
- Progress - This can be calculated based on the task's own progress or on its child issues.
- Scheduling - Allows you to toggle how tasks are scheduled, manually (based on its Start/End date or sprint) or automatically (based on the project start day, duration and dependencies).
- Slice - If the task's appearance or behavior is based on a Slice configuration, the slice name is listed here.
- Maximum Units - Shows the maximum resource capacity which can be used on this task. For example, if a resource has capacity of 5, but the Max Unit setting is 1, only 1/5 of the resource will be used to work on this task. If the Max Unit is set to 5 or more, the entire resource will be used and the task can be done 5 times faster. (See Resources for more information about assigning and tracking resources.)
- Resources - Shows the resource assigned to the task, the resource time zone and calendar.
If (Fixed duration) appears to the right of the Duration, this means the task is scheduled based on Start and Finish dates or sprints, not its work estimate. For Fixed Duration tasks, the work is divided evenly across the duration. See Fixed Duration for more information.
Icons in the Task Details Panel
The Task Details panel uses icons to help you identify how a task is scheduled.
Next to the Start/Finish dates, you may see the following:
Indicates the Task is manually scheduled based on its Start Date
Indicates the task is manually scheduled based on its Finish Date
Indicates the task is manually scheduled based on its sprint
Clear Start or Finish Date
If a task is scheduled based on a Start and/or Finish date, a Clear link is displayed next to the date.
Clicking this link will remove the manual date from Jira and:
- If another date is available (Start or Finish) - the task will be manually scheduled by this date.
- If Use Sprints for Manual Scheduling is selected in the Gantt Configuration and the task is assigned to a sprint - the task will be rescheduled based on the sprint dates/duration.
- If neither of these are available - the task will revert to automatic scheduling.
See Scheduling Precedence for more information.