In Structure.Gantt, dependencies are defined based on Issue Links. Changing dependencies creates or removes links between issues (the link type is defined in the Gantt configuration).
Structure.Gantt supports the following types of dependencies:
- Finish to Start (FS) - the second item's start is dependent upon the first item's finish
- Start to Start (SS) - the second item's start is dependent upon the first item's start
- Finish to Finish (FF) - the second item's finish is dependent upon the first item's finish
- Start to Finish (SF) - the second item's finish is dependent upon the first item's start
By default, the dependency transition happens immediately. For example, in an FS dependency, the second item starts as soon as the first item finishes. If you need to delay a start/finish or begin it early, you can configure a lead/lag time for dependencies.
Finish to Start Dependencies
Structure.Gantt uses Finish to Start dependencies by default. To enable other types of dependencies, see Gantt Configuration | Dependencies.
To create a Finish to Start dependency:
- Mouse over the task bar until a black circle appears to the right of the bar.
- Press the circle and drag your dependency line to the task you want to link to. Once you release the mouse button, the dependency (and the corresponding Jira link) is created.
If you have more than one link type associated with Finish to Start dependencies, you will be asked which link type you want to use.
You can use favorites to streamline the selection process:
- If you favorite one Finish to Start link type, Structure.Gantt will skip the popup and use that type every time
- If you favorite multiple Finish to Start link types, only your favorites will be listed in the popup
See Dependencies for more information.
Other Dependency Types
To create other types of dependencies:
- Click the Link button in the toolbar
- Select the tasks you want to include in the dependency
- Select the Dependency Type
- Assign a custom lead/lag time, if necessary.
- Click Create Dependency
If you haven't configured a Dependency Type, you won't be able to select it in the New Dependency menu.
In order to use these dependency types, you first need to configure them in your Gantt Configuration.
Start to Finish and Finish to Finish dependencies are currently not supported between tasks and groups.
It is also possible to create dependencies between non-issues items (Structure Folders and Memos), as well as between issues and non-issues. These dependencies are stored inside Structure.Gantt and are not visible outside of the chart.
To view or edit the details of an existing dependency, click the link arrow connecting two tasks.
To delete a dependency, click the Remove link in the Dependency Properties panel.
Next Step: Gantt Chart Elements