The scope of a generator is defined by its position in the structure.
- If you place the generator at the very top of the structure, the generator will be applied to the whole structure.
- If you place it under some static item within the structure, the generator will only affect the descendants of this item.
To limit the scope further, Extend generators allow you to set which levels the generator should be applied to within the generator's options dialogue – either when creating the generator, or by double-clicking the generator within the structure.
You can select from the following Levels:
- All levels up to 10 - the generator will be applied to all descendants of the parent item, up to 10 levels deep.
- All levels - the generator will be applied to all descendants of the parent item.
- Current level only - the generator will only be applied on the level where the generator is added.
- Manual levels range - you can define the specific levels where the generator should work.
Structure Cloud currently supports a maximum of twenty levels.
Manual Levels Range
The From and To fields define the range of levels to which the generator will be applied. The number entered into each field represents a level in the hierarchy, where 1 equals the level the generator is on, 2 is the next level down, etc.
If you wanted to pull in issues linked to the issues on level 2, set the From field to 2 and To field to 2. This will limit the generator to that specific level.
If the To field is set to 3, this would:
- Pull in all issues linked to the issues in level 2, and
- Pull in all issues linked to the new issues you just pulled in (because they will be placed on level 3).
You can also leave the From or To field blank:
- When the From field is blank, the generator is applied from the current level to the level indicated in the To field.
- When the To field is blank, the generator is applied to the level indicated in the From field and all levels below it.