The Progress column displays an aggregate issue progress, which is calculated based on values from the issue and its sub-issues.
Progress can be based on:
You can select which type of progress column to include using the Add Column menu. Once a progress column has been added to your structure, you can change how it's calculated or customize its configuration using the column configuration panel.
How is Progress Calculated?
Progress calculations can be customized in two parts:
- How the individual issue progress is calculated, regardless of its position in the structure.
- How the progress of sub-issues are aggregated and combined with the individual progress of the parent issue.
Individual Issue Progress Calculation
There are several progress calculation modes. You can select which one to use in the Based On option:
- Progress Based on Custom Percent Field — The progress is assigned to each issue manually in a custom field, and progress is aggregated for parent issues.
- Progress Based on Resolution Only — The progress is calculated based on the issue’s Resolution field and the progress of its sub-issues.
- Progress Based on Status — The progress is determined by the issue's Status field. Custom percentage values can be assigned to each status.
- Progress Based on Time Tracking — The progress is calculated based on the issue's Resolution field, time tracking data and the progress of its sub-issues.
Total Progress Calculation
When individual issue progress is calculated based on Status, Percent Field or Resolution Only, you can specify how sub-issue progresses are aggregated into their parent issue progress. This is defined by the Weight option:
- All Sub-Issues Are Equal – All sub-issues are considered equal when calculating aggregated progress for the parent issue. Weights do not accumulate, so sub-issues of each level are considered equal, irrespective of how many sub-sub-issues they have.
- Time Estimate – Sub-issues' progresses are weighted proportionally to their total time estimate (Time Spent + Remaining Estimate). This option is akin to Time Tracking, but allows you to get individual progress from other sources (such as a numeric custom field or the Status field). If time information is not present, it is counted in as an average, based on the mean total time (time spent + remaining estimate) across sub-issues.
- Numeric Field - Sub-issues' progresses can be weighted proportionally based on a selected numeric field, such as Story Points or other custom field.
A zero value in the field configured as weight will discard any issue's progress in the parent issue aggregation.