You can view and edit structures directly from your Jira dashboard with the Structure dashboard gadget.
Adding Structure Gadget to Dashboard
Structure gadget can be added like any other dashboard gadget:
- Click the Add Gadget button in the top right corner of the dashboard
- Find "Structure" in the list of available gadgets (Hint: if you don't see Structure, click the Load all gadgets link)
- Click Add It Now
In order to add a gadget to an existing dashboard, you must have change permissions. If you do not have change permission, you can try to create a copy of the dashboard using Tools | Copy Dashboard.
You can add several gadgets showing different structures on the same dashboard.
Configuring the Gadget
When you first add a gadget to dashboard, the gadget configuration panel appears with a dimmed preview of the gadget below. (The same panel is shown when you use the Edit command from the gadget header drop-down.)
To configure the gadget:
- Select a Structure. Click arrow down in the Structure selector to view recently used and favorite structures, or start typing the structure name and let the drop-down suggest matching structures.
- Select a View. Click arrow down to choose from views associated with the selected structure, start typing and let Structure suggest matching views, or create a new view. The selected view determines which columns the gadget displays. (You will be able to adjust the view later.)
- Optionally, configure a Filter. The displayed structure will be filtered in the same way as in the Structure Board – see Filter. You can choose between a text filter, JQL, S-JQL, or a saved JQL filter – see Search.
- Optionally, define the Title for this gadget. By default, it is the name of the selected structure.
- Decide how large the gadget is allowed to be and specify the number of Visible Rows. If there are fewer visible rows, the gadget shrinks; if more, a vertical scroll bar appears. Pick any number between 2 and 50.
- Decide whether dashboard viewers can make changes to the structure or issues (subject to the user's permissions) by selecting or deselecting the Allow Changes checkbox.
- Optionally, if you would like the gadget to have a different View and Visible Rows settings when maximized, select the Alternative settings when maximized checkbox. This allows you to see more information for the same structure when the gadget window is maximized.
- Click Save.
Deselect Allow Changes to protect the structure from accidental changes, such as changes caused by drag-and-drop or hitting the Delete key.
Customizing Gadget View
Once you have created your gadget, you can customize by adding, removing or rearranging columns – see Customizing Columns.
Once you've made changes to the gadget's view, a new indicator will appear at the bottom of the gadget, along with options to save those changes or revert back to the view's original setting.
Click the Save link will apply all the changes you have made to the existing view. The view will be updated everywhere it is in use, in the gadget, on Structure Board, etc. It will also impact all other users with access to that view.
Click the Revert link to remove your adjustments and return to the original view as it is stored on the server.
There is no Save As option on the dashboard gadget; however, it can be accomplished using the following method:
- Adjust the gadget's view by adding, removing or rearranging columns – see Customizing Columns for details.
- Open the gadget configuration by clicking Edit in the gadget header drop-down menu.
- Click the New View button, located beside the view selector. An additional form appears – enter the new view name and click Create View.
- If this gadget is going to be visible to other users, make sure they have access to the view you've created by clicking Let everyone use this view.
If the user viewing the gadget does not have Use permission on the configured view, the gadget will show a default view with only Issue Key and Summary as columns.
Using the Gadget
When viewing a structure in a gadget, some of Structure's features will be limited or unavailable:
- Search and the Secondary panel is unavailable
- The toolbar is unavailable
- Only some fields can be edited from within Structure Gadget – see Editing from Gadget
However, many features are still available, including
- Most keyboard shortcuts are functional
- You can rearrange issues with drag-and-drop, if editing is enabled
- You can move, create, edit, and delete issues using the keyboard, if editing is enabled
- You can add, remove and rearrange columns
- If the gadget is displayed in its "home" Jira dashboard (not in Confluence or elsewhere), the last column lets you use the action drop-down for issues
Open on Structure Board
Working from the Structure Board provides the most unrestricted Structure experience. To get to the Structure Board from a gadget, click the Open link.
The structure will open on Structure Board with the same filters and transformations that were applied in the original gadget. For examples, if the gadget only shows items from a specific project, sorted by Assignee, that's exactly what you'll see on the Structure Board. To review or remove these transformations, click the Transformations button in the panel toolbar.