Jira-based baselines allow you to compare the current task timelines to timelines found in a Jira custom field or based on a formula. This allows you to compare the current chart to a previously planned schedule, alternate schedule, transition dates, or any other date/time data available in Jira.
Creating a Jira-based Baseline
To create a new baseline, open the Baseline menu in the Structure.Gantt toolbar and select Create New.
Give the baseline a name and select Jira-based baseline from the Type dropdown.
Enter the following information:
- Start Date - Select the custom field that contains the start dates that should be used to schedule tasks for the baseline. You can also use a formula.
- Finish Date - Select the custom field that contains the finish date that should be used to schedule tasks for the baseline. You can also use a formula.
- Treat task with only Start Date value as a milestone - If this option is selected, tasks that only have a value in the Start Date field will appear as milestones in the baseline.
- Treat task with only Finish Date value as a milestone - If this option is selected, tasks that only have a value in the Finish Date field will appear as milestones in the baseline.
In order to create a baseline, you must be the structure owner or have Edit permissions for the structure.
Viewing a Baseline
- If there are start and finish values available for a task, it's baseline will appear as a gray bar in the same row as the current task
- If you selected either of the One date-field tasks options, any issue with only a start/finish date will have a milestone baseline (see STR-4)
- If there are no dates for a task, or only one date that does not match the One date-field tasks selection, no baseline will appear for that task
Popular Uses for Jira-based Baselines
- Compare current task positions to the dates work actually started and finished for tasks: set the Start Date to "First Transition to In Progress" and set the Finish Date to "Last Transition to Done." You can also select "Transition Date..." to choose a custom transition.
- Compare current task positions to an original project plan: use custom fields that contain the original start and finish dates (as we did above)
- Change the project scope: when you need to add new issues to a project, you can simulate that in the chart by creating a baseline that pushes back remaining tasks. The following will push all remaining tasks back 1 month:
- Select "Formula..." for the Start Date and Stop Date.
- Enter the following Start Date formula and map the Gant Start Date variable:
IF(Status != "Done"; DATE_ADD(GanttStartDate, 1, "month"))
- Enter the following Finish Date formula and map the Gant Finish Date variable:
IF(Status != "Done"; DATE_ADD(GanttFinishDate, 1, "month"))