In Structure.Gantt, dependencies are defined based on Issue Links. Changing dependencies creates or removes links between issues (the link type is defined in the Gantt configuration).
Structure.Gantt supports the following types of dependencies:
- Finish to Start (FS) - the second item's start is dependent upon the first item's finish
- Start to Start (SS) - the second item's start is dependent upon the first item's start
- Finish to Finish (FF) - the second item's finish is dependent upon the first item's finish
- Start to Finish (SF) - the second item's finish is dependent upon the first item's start
By default, the dependency transition happens immediately. For example, in an FS dependency, the second item starts as soon as the first item finishes. If you need to delay a start/finish or begin it early, you can configure a lead/lag time for dependencies.
Creating Dependencies with Drag and Drop
To create a dependency between two tasks, drag from one task to another. The type of dependency you create will depend on the sides of each task you use:
- Finish to Start - Drag from the right side of one task to the left side of the other
- Finish to Finish - Drag from right side to right side
- Start to Finish - Drag from left side to right side
- Start to Start - Drag from left side to left side
If you have more than one link type associated with the dependency type you selected, you will be asked which link type you want to use.
You can use favorites to streamline the selection process:
- If you favorite one link type for a dependency type, Structure.Gantt will skip the popup and use that type whenever you create that dependency
- If you favorite multiple link types, only your favorites will be listed in the popup
The type of dependencies and link types you can create in Structure.Gantt depends on the types you have enabled in the Gantt Configuration.
Creating Dependencies with the Toolbar
You can also create dependencies using the Gantt toolbar:
- Click the Link button in the toolbar
- Select the tasks you want to include in the dependency
- Select the Dependency Type
- Assign a custom lead/lag time, if necessary.
- Click Create Dependency
If you haven't configured a Dependency Type, you won't be able to select it in the New Dependency menu.
In order to use these dependency types, you first need to configure them in your Gantt Configuration.
Start to Finish and Finish to Finish dependencies are currently not supported as targets for groups.
It is also possible to create dependencies between non-issues items (Structure Folders and Memos), as well as between issues and non-issues. These dependencies are stored inside Structure.Gantt and are not visible outside of the chart.
To view or edit the details of an existing dependency, click the link arrow connecting two tasks.
To delete a dependency, click the Remove link in the Dependency Properties panel.