If you're working in an Agile environment, where tasks are assigned to specific sprints rather than scheduled for specific dates, Structure.Gantt's sprint planning feature makes it easy to visualize and plan epics and stories across multiple projects.
The easiest way to get started is with our Agile Gantt Chart template.
Open the Agile Gantt Chart Wizard
To open the wizard, go to the top Structure menu and click Create Structure.
Select the Agile Gantt Chart template and click Next.
Select Your Gantt Chart Options
On the following screen, you'll customize your chart.
You can add issues from any board you have permissions for. Simply click the Scrum Boards field, locate the board you want to add, and click it. You can include as many boards as you need.
You can select from the following options when creating your Agile Gantt Chart:
- Stories only - adds all issues except epics and sub-tasks, placing them all at the same level within your chart.
- Stories under epics - adds stories (everything except epics and sub-tasks) beneath their respective epics in your chart.
- Advanced Roadmaps - if Atlassian Advanced Roadmaps (formerly Portfolio) is installed, this will add any Advanced Roadmaps levels above epics.
Structure.Gantt allows you to track your resource requirements throughout a project, so you can see at a glance when resources are over-tasked or available for additional work.
If you wish to track resource allocation, check the Track Resource Allocation box and select the Resource Field that should be used to assign resources to your tasks. You can choose from a variety of Jira fields or use a custom field or formula. Many of our customers use the Assignee field or a custom Team field.
In the Share With section, select who the chart should be shared with. Only the people you select will have access to view the structure and Gantt chart you create. You can change or customize these settings later in Structure Permissions.
Create Your Gantt Chart
Once you've selected your options, click the Create Structure and Gantt chart button. Your new chart will be constructed using Structure's powerful Automation feature. If you need to make changes to the issues included in your chart or how they are arranged, you can edit the automation rules later.
Issues will automatically be scheduled in your Gantt chart based on a 2-week estimate for future sprints and a custom Gantt configuration with the following settings:
- Work estimates are based on Story Points, with Time Tracking enabled if no Story Points data is available.
- The standard 40 hours/week calendar is used, unless there is no "Standard" calendar found.
To view or change these settings, see Gantt Configuration.
Congratulations! You’ve just built an Agile Gantt chart.
Here are a few additional resource to help you get started:
- If you’re new to Structure, you can learn more about working within a structure on our Structure Documentation page.
- If you're ready to start managing tasks with Structure.Gantt, see Working with Your Gantt Chart.
- If you need to make changes to your Gantt chart configuration, click the Settings button on the top left of the Gantt screen.
To be able to create Gantt charts (even for existing structures) you need to have the appropriate permissions set for your account. To create a Gantt chart for a structure that you created, you must have permission to create new structures . To create a Gantt chart for a structure you did not create, you need Control access. If you are unable to create a Gantt chart for a structure, speak with your system administrator.