Automation is a powerful feature that lets you create dynamic structures, which will update themselves automatically when there are changes in Jira.
You can make parts of a manually-created structure dynamic – for example, automatically place all issues that match a query under a manually-added folder – or you can build your entire structure using automation.
How Automation Works
Automation works through generators – special rules that tell Structure what issues to show you from Jira and where to place them within the structure. We like to think of this as the "skeleton" of a structure.
Each time a structure is opened, these generators will run again and completely rebuild the structure, based on the current information available in Jira. In fact, Structure will continue to check for changes even while the structure is open, ensuring that the information you are seeing is up-to-date, without needing to reload the page.
If multiple people are using a structure simultaneously, it is only generated when the first person opens the structure; however, it will continue to update in real time.
Add a Generator
To add a generator to your structure, click the Automation button in the Structure toolbar to turn on Automation Editing mode. Then click the + sign to select the type of generator you want to add.
The following types of generators are available:
- Presets - Automatically add and configure generators to accomplish a specific use case.
- Insert Generators - Automatically add issues to the structure.
- Extend Generators - Add additional issues based on issues already in the structure.
- Group Generators - Group issues by most standard Jira fields, custom fields, issue attributes, and issue links.
- Field Sorter - Order the structure based on Jira fields.
- JQL Filter Generator - Remove issues that do not pass certain criteria.
Generators are added right inside the structure, just like other items, and their scope is defined by their position within the structure. Place the generator at the top of the structure, and it will impact the entire structure. Place it under a folder, and it will only affect items within that folder.
You can only add generators under static parts of the the structure. You cannot add them under dynamic items (items added by other generators).