The Field Sorter allows you to order your structure based on a Jira field.
You can also order the structure by multiple fields. For example, the top level of the hierarchy can be sorted by Rank, the next level sorted by Remaining Estimate, etc.
Sorting a Structure
To add a Field Sorter, open the Add menu and select Sort.
This will display the Sort generator options. Select Field.
Configuring the Generator
Next, you'll configure the Field Sorter.
When a generator runs, it runs as the structure owner. This is important because the generator will have access to the same projects, issues, etc. as the user listed here – if they don’t have permission to view an issue, it won’t be added to the structure.
Select the field issues should be sorted by.
Select whether issues should be sorted in ascending or descending order.
Moving items in the structure will update ranks
This option is currently only available for Sort by Rank. If this option is checked, moving an issue across the structure will update its Jira rank.
You can change up to 100 issues with a single move. If you need to update more than 100 issues, simply move them in chunks of 100 or fewer.
Please be aware that it may take up to several minutes to process all changes if 100 issues are moved at one time.
Allows you to specify which levels in the hierarchy will be sorted:
- Levels are based on the placement of the generator, where "Level 1" is the level the generator is located on, "Level 2" is the level beneath that, and so on.
- To apply the sort to every level on or below the generator's level, select All levels. Note: items above the Sorter will not be sorted.
- See Level-based Sorting to learn more about customizing levels.
Place the generator on
Select where the generator should be placed within the structure hierarchy. This location will be considered "Level 1" when applying the Sort Levels (see "Sort Levels" above).
You have three options:
- Current level - The generator will be placed on the currently-selected level.
- Level below - The generator will be placed on the level below the currently-selected item.
- Top level - The generator will be placed at the top of the structure.
See Generator Scope to learn more.
If you want different levels within your hierarchy sorted by unique fields, simply add multiple Sort generators, each with different Sort Levels.
In this example, we added three Sort generators, each placed at the the top of the structure and each applied to a different level:
- Sort by Priority, Sort Levels from 1 to 1. Level 1 includes items on the same level as the generator, so our epics have been sorted by priority.
- Sort by Status, Sort Levels from 2 to 2. Level 2 is the level directly below the level of the generator, so our stories have been sorted by status.
- Sort by Original Estimate, Sort Levels from 3 to 3. Level 3 is two levels down from the generator, so our sub-tasks have been sorted by original estimate.
See Generator Scope to learn more about customizing levels.