The Team-managed Project Hierarchy Extender pulls in issues under epics and/or sub-tasks under issues for Team-managed projects.
In the example above, we built our hierarchy by adding all our epics using a JQL/Text Inserter, and then we placed our tasks beneath them and our sub-tasks beneath tasks, using the Team-managed Project Hierarchy Extender.
Adding a Team-managed Project Hierarchy Extender
To add a Team-managed Project Hierarchy Extender, open the Add menu and select Extend.
Configuring the Generator
Each Team-managed Project Hierarchy Extender can be customized to create exactly the hierarchy you need.
When a generator runs, it runs as the structure owner. This is important because the generator will have access to the same projects, issues, etc. as the user listed here – if they don’t have permission to view an issue, it won’t be added to the structure.
- Extend epics - pulls in issues under epics already in the structure
- Add sub-tasks - pulls in sub-tasks under issues already in the structure
Moving an item in the structure will change its parent issue in Jira
If checked, this option allows you to change an issue's parent issue by dragging it from beneath one issue to another:
- If Extend epics is checked - Moving an issue from beneath one epic to another will update its epic link in Jira. Additionally, creating a new issue beneath an epic will link that issue to the epic in Jira.
- If Add sub-tasks is checked - Moving a sub-task from beneath one issue to another will update its parent issue in Jira.
You can change up to 100 issues with a single move. If you need to update more than 100 issues, simply move them in chunks of 100 or fewer.
Please be aware that it may take up to several minutes to process all changes if 100 issues are moved at one time.
Allows you to specify which levels in the hierarchy the extender should be applied to:
- Levels are based on the placement of the generator, where "Level 1" is the level the generator is located on, "Level 2" is the level beneath that, and so on.
- Issues/sub-tasks will only be added for those epics/issues within the selected range.
Place the generator on
You have three options:
- Current level - The generator will be placed on the currently-selected level.
- Level below - The generator will be placed on the level below the currently-selected item.
- Top level - The generator will be placed at the top of the structure.
See Generator Scope to learn more.