22nd of October, 2021Structure 7.3 fixes Confluence gadget stability
Try It: Structure Sandbox Server (no installation required)
1. Version Highlights
- Fixed: a stability issue with the Structure gadget in Confluence, when making a request to Jira Data Center. More info
- Fixed: Query match column did not handle 'Sum over sub-items' properly
- Fixed: "attachments" variable wasn't automatically mapped in formula columns
- Fixed: broken UI when hovering over fields with wiki markup
- Fixed: Formula column with "Sum over sub-items" option selected could not be used as a variable
- Fixed: exporting structures with complex formulas took significantly longer than expected
- Fixed: icons were not displaying in the Confluence gadget
2. Changes in Detail
2.1. Supported Versions
Structure 7.3 and all extensions support Jira versions 8.5 or later. This is the latest release with 8.5 support, the next one will support Jira's 8.13+. This release is for customers using Jira Server or Data Center (Jira Core, Jira Software, or Jira Service Management/Service Desk).
Compatible plugins versions:
Cloud customers can learn more about our products on the “Cloud” tab of our marketplace listing.
3. Installation and Upgrade
Pick a Time
We strongly recommend that you install and upgrade your apps during off-peak hours or scheduled maintenance windows. There are known issues in the Jira plugin infrastructure that may cause performance degradation and impede app installation when your Jira instance is under heavy load.
3.1. Installing Structure
If your Jira server does not have Structure yet, the installation is simple:
- Download and install Structure app, either from the Atlassian Marketplace or our Download page.
- When Add-on Manager reports the successful installation, click Get Started to visit a page with important guidance for the Jira administrator. You may want to also check out the user's Get Started page, available under the "Structure" top-level menu.
jira-application.logfor log messages from Structure.
3.2. Upgrading Structure
The upgrade procedure from versions 3.0–7.2 is simple:
- Consider backing up Jira data. Use Administration | System | Backup System. (If you have a large instance and a proper backup strategy in place, you may skip this step.)
- Back up Structure data. Use Administration | Structure | Backup Structure menu item. If you have a lot of structures and a large Jira, consider turning off the "Backup History" option to avoid a long backup process.
Install the new version of the plugin.
jira-application.logfor warnings or errors.
4. Enterprise Deployment Notes
4.1. Structure Gadget in Confluence
This release introduces an update for Structure gadget in Confluence, when working with Jira Data Center. Previously, we discovered an issue with the session affinity mechanism, where any gadget request could be forwarded to any Jira Data Center node. Structure gadget would try a few times to reach the original node and then stop with an error banner after the failed retries. With this release, Structure gadget can now detect the node change and, after a few failed retries, reconnect to a new node and continue to work. Each reconnection works like a full update - all rows and attributes data will be loaded at once. If the node changes too often (it depends on the load balancer algorithm, Jira load, etc.) it can increase network traffic. There is a Dark Feature that allows admins to switch back to the old behavior: structure.gadget.remote.allowNodeWandering - set to false to disable the node change behavior (true by default).
4.2. Testing on Staging Environment
Apart from the changes and suggestions above, there are no particular special areas of interest for load testing and stress testing Structure 7.3. We advise running the same testing procedures as you've done for previous upgrades.