Transformations allow you to reorganize the issues in your structure, in order to focus on specific types of issues or issue properties. For example, transformations can be used to Filter out all but those issues assigned to the current user or to sort issues by progress (or both!).
Transformations vs. Generators
Transformations use the same types of functions as generators. However, there are a few key differences:
- Transformations make local adjustment to the structure, without changing it for everyone else. If someone opens the same structure while you have a transformation applied, they will still see the original structure.
- Transformations can only be applied to the whole structure, while generators can be inserted under a folder or manually-added issue.
- There is no "Insert" transformation, because transformations are applied to the issues already in a structure.
Which should you use?
- If you want to reorganize the issues you see, without affecting anyone else's view, use Transformations.
- If you want to apply a temporary change, transformations are also preferable, because they are easily switched on or off and can be saved for quick access.
- If you are organizing issues in a way that others would benefit from, consider using generators and saving it as a new, shared structure.
The following types of transformations are available in Structure:
For more details on how each of these works, please see the documentation on Types of Generators.
The Filter by Sprint transformation only affects folders, not issues, and it is applied to the whole structure. The Filter by Sprint generator is only applied to embedded sub-structures.
Working with Transformations