Attribute to Issue Field Effector
The Attribute to Issue Field Effector allows you to write the values from Structure attributes (formulas, structure-specific columns, Structure.Gantt attributes, etc.) to Jira issue fields. It can also copy values from one Jira field to another.
Adding an Attribute to Issue Field Effector to a Structure
To add an Attribute to Issue Field Effector to a structure, open the Automation menu and select Effectors.
Choose Attribute to issue field...
On the Effector setting screen:
- The name field is updated automatically as you select the Effector properties. If you prefer, you can also click the edit button to enter a custom name.
- Attribute: select the source attribute (with the values you want to write to Jira)
- Field: select the field you want the values written to
- Limit To: (optional) enter JQL to limit the Effector's scope (Ex. "Issuetype = epics" will limit changes to just epics)
- Select whether email notifications should be sent when the Effector writes values to Jira
When you're finished, click Save and Run to run the Effector immediately, or click Save to simply add the Effector to the structure but not run it yet. Since this will be your first time running an Effector, we suggest clicking Save. This way, you can run a pre-test before making any changes.
Writing to Multi-Value Fields
If you select a destination Field that can accept multiple values, you will see an additional Action setting. You can choose:
- Set - the values in the issue field will be overwritten by the attribute value.
- Add - the value from the source Attribute will be added to the values in the destination Field.
- Remove - if the value in the source Attribute appears in the destination Field, it will be removed.
Currently, only single values can be written to the issue field. If the source Attribute contains multiple values or spaces (as with the Notes field), you will receive an error when you run the Effector.
Running the Effector
Once you've added the Effector to a structure, you need to run it for changes to take place. See Running an Effector
Review / Revert Changes
To review or revert changes made by an Effector, see Revert Effector Changes
Example Use Cases for the Attribute to Issue Field Effector
Some popular uses for this Effector include:
- Add story points for epics
- Update issue assignees based on parent issues
- Calculate the cost to complete issues and projects, and write those cost to a Jira field
- If the Structure.Gantt extension is installed, write Gantt attributes (such as the Gantt Start Date/Gantt Finish Date) to custom Jira fields (Start Date/Finish Date).