Generators are powerful tools that let you create dynamic structures, which will update themselves automatically when there are changes in Jira.
You can make parts of a manually-created structure dynamic – for example, automatically place all issues that match a query under a manually-added folder – or you can build your entire structure using generators.
How Generators Works
Generators are special rules that tell Structure what issues to show you from Jira and where to place them within the structure. We like to think of this as the "skeleton" of a structure.
Each time a structure is opened, these generators will run again and completely rebuild the structure, based on the current information available in Jira. In fact, Structure will continue to check for changes even while the structure is open, ensuring that the information you are seeing is up to date, without needing to reload the page.
If multiple people are using a structure simultaneously, it is only generated when the first person opens the structure; however, it will continue to update in real time.
Add a Generator
To add a generator to your structure, open the Add menu and select the type of generator you want to add.
The following types of generators are available:
- Preset - Automatically add and configure generators to accomplish a specific use case.
- Insert - Automatically add issues to the structure.
- Extend - Add additional issues based on issues already in the structure.
- Filter - Remove issues that do not pass certain criteria.
- Group - Group issues by most standard Jira fields, custom fields, issue attributes, and issue links.
- Sort - Order the structure based on Jira fields.
Generators are added right inside the structure, just like other items, and their scope is defined by their position within the structure. Place the generator at the top of the structure, and it will impact the entire structure. Place it under a folder, and it will only affect items within that folder.
You can only add generators under static parts of the the structure. You cannot add them under dynamic items (items added by other generators).