Migrating Structure data using the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant requires Structure 7.4 or later.
The easiest way to migrate Structure data from Jira Server or Data Center to Jira Cloud is by using the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (JCMA). When you run JCMA, the structures you select will be recreated in Structure Cloud, based on:
- Manually added issues and folders
- Items added and organized through Automation
- Structure views - including the default view and associated views for each structure
In order to perform a migration, you must have Admin access for Jira Server/Data Center and Jira Cloud.
Migration Steps in Jira Server or Data Center
Step 1 - Make sure you have the appropriate software installed
The following programs must be installed on Jira Server/Data Center:
- Structure for Jira
- Jira Cloud Migration Assistant
Step 2 - Create a new Jira migration
Go to Administration | System | Migrate to cloud and create a new migration. For step-by-step instructions, see Use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant to migrate from server to cloud.
Save the migration set. DO NOT RUN THE MIGRATION SET! Before running the migration set, you need to add your structures.
Step 3 - Create a Structure migration configuration
Go to Administration | Structure | Migrate to Cloud and create a new configuration. Give it the exact same name you used for the Jira migration in Step 2.
If the names do not match exactly, Structure data will not be migrated.
Step 4 - Run the Jira migration
Return to Administration | System | Migrate to cloud and run the JCMA migration.
Migration Steps in Jira Cloud
Once the migration has been run, the following steps should be taken in Jira Cloud.
Step 5 - Review the Jira migration
Check that all the users, groups, and projects were migrated successfully. See Use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant to migrate from server to cloud for more details.
Step 6 - Check Structure migration status
Go to Settings | Apps. In the left panel, locate the Structure Cloud section, and click Migration. This will bring up a list of migrations with the status of each.
You may receive the following statuses:
- Review required - the migration has completed, but some structures need to be reviewed
- Done - the migration has completed, and the structures are ready to be used
- In progress
To review the structures in each migration, click the migration name.
Each structure will have one of the following statuses:
- Review required - the structure has been migrated, but needs to be reviewed
- Done - the structure has been migrated and is ready to be used
For additional details about the migration, including which items require review, click Audit.
Re-run a migration
If you need to re-run the migration for any reason, you can do so within 5 days of the original migration. Click the Run icon at the bottom of the Migration screen.
Step 7 - Review each structure
To review each structure, click the Manage structure link on the Audit screen or the structure's name on the Migration screen.
If there are any items that need review, you will see a message at the top of the structure with steps that should be completed before using the structure.
You should check:
- Manually-added items - make sure they were added correctly to the structure. Note that Memos are not yet supported in Structure Cloud and will be replaced by folders.
- Automations - make sure they were migrated correctly and return the expected results.
- Automations labeled “not migrated” - this indicates structure was unable to reproduce the automation in Cloud, most likely because it could not locate a project, board, or issue. Double-click the automation and check it settings. Adjust as necessary.
- JQL Inserters, JQL Filters, and JQL Quick Filters – doublecheck the JQL and results, as some attributes may be different in Cloud. Adjust as necessary.
- Columns - make sure columns were migrated as expected.
- Views - only custom views associated with the selected structures will be migrated.
- Anything labeled "Unsupported" - this indicates that the item or automation is not yet supported in Structure Cloud and could not be migrated.
- Permissions – structure and view permissions are not migrated to cloud, because Server/DC and cloud use different permission models. To configure structure permissions, locate the structure in Manage Structures, click Configure, and update the permission settings.
Test Run columns are not yet supported with the migration assistant.
Step 8 - Mark the structure reviewed
Once you have reviewed the structure and updated it as necessary, return to the banner at the top and click Mark reviewed. The banner will not appear for this structure again.
- How Structure Cloud is different from Structure for Jira Server/DC
- Structure Cloud Roadmap
- Contact our support team at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns