Synchronization lets you keep Structure issue hierarchy in sync with some other issue properties. For example, you can enforce the rule that JIRA sub-tasks should always be placed under their parent in the structure, or that there should be an issue link from parent issue to each sub-issue.
Synchronization can also be run once to perform a one-time update of the structure (Import) or one-time update of the issues based on the structure (Export).
Synchronization is extendable system that allows JIRA plugins provide their own synchronizers. The following synchronizers are supplied with the Structure plugin:
- Sub-Tasks Synchronizer places JIRA sub-tasks under their parent issues in the structure
- Links Synchronizer makes sure that sub-issues are linked to their parent issues with a specific link type, and it also can be used to reconstruct structure from links
- Filter Synchronizer populates structure with issues that pass a saved filter, it also can be used to remove issues from structure when they no longer pass the filter
- JIRA Agile (GreenHopper) Synchronizer works to sync GreenHopper ranking of issues with their position in the structure and to make it easier to assign stories to epics by using Structure
- Status Rollup Synchronizer allows to make propagate issue status upwards, for example, make parent issue Resolved if all sub-issue are resolved.
Please be careful: synchronization may cause massive changes on the issues. For example, if you install GreenHopper synchronizer and then add issues to the structure in some random order, those issues' ranks will be changed according to that order almost immediately! We plan to add "synchronization undo" in the future version to reverse possibly uncalled bulk changes. But for now, please make sure you have daily backups and carefully read how a synchronizer works before installing it
In order to install a synchronizer you need to have Control permissions on a structure and have necessary permissions on the JIRA issues.
Anonymous user cannot install synchronizers or use Export/Import even they are granted Control permissions.