The Field Grouper allows you to group issues by most standard Jira fields.
Generators are applied to the current level, in the order they appear in the structure.
In the example below, we used an Insert generator to add issues, and then added Group by Sprint and Group by Status generators. Two new levels were created, grouping our issues first by Sprints and then by Status:
To rearrange the hierarchy so that Status is at the top level, followed by Sprints, simply reorder the generators, so that Group by Status is above Group by Sprint.
Adding a Field Grouper
To add a Field Grouper, click the Automation button to turn on Automation Editing mode. Then click the + button and select Group.
This will display the Group generator options. Select Field...
From the options dialogue, you can select a new issue field to group your structure by, change the level within your hierarchy where the sort is applied and more.
- Field - Select the field issues should be grouped by.
- Group on level - You can apply the grouping to the current level, next level, or manually enter a level within the hierarchy. See Generator Scope to learn more.
- Consider other groups - By default, a new Group generator will ignore data created by other Group generators.
Consider other Groups
By default, Group generators ignore data added to your structure by other Group generators, because in most cases the added data doesn't group well.
Let's look at the scenario above, where we grouped our structure by both Sprint and Status. Here's a breakdown of how that works:
- Structure starts with your top level issues (or adds them with an Insert generator).
- Next, it applies the first Group generator in our list, the Group by Sprint. This creates a new level in your hierarchy.
- Then Structure applies the Group by Status generator. At this point, the true "current" level is a list of sprints, which are not issues and don't have statuses to group them by. So Structure ignores these items, and creates the new group of statuses based on the original issues.
Closing Automation Editing Mode
To close Automation Editing mode and hide the list of generators, click the Automation button in the toolbar again.