Everyone uses the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) a bit differently, but Structure is highly customizable and easy to tailor to your specific SAFe needs.
Step 1: Build a SAFe Structure
To create a structure for SAFe:
- Go to the Jira menu and select Structure | Create Structure
- Add initiatives: Automation | Insert | JQL Query | enter the appropriate JQL, such as
"Project = 'project name' AND issuetype = initiative"
- Add epics below initiatives: Automation | Extend | Linked Issues | choose the type and direction used to assign Epics to Initiatives, such as "Implements" or "parent is Implemented by sub-issue"
- Add issues belonging to epics: Automation | Extend | Stories under Epics
- Add sub-tasks: Automation | Extend | Sub-tasks
- Sort by rank: Automation | Sort | type "Rank"
Step 2: Add Data
- Jira fields, such as status, assignee, sprint, or remaining estimate
- Progress - track status based on issue progress, percent completion, or resolution
- Tempo Work Logged - track how long your team is spending on each issue
- Formulas - create your own formulas to compare fields or create a visual report
Time in Status - see how much time issues spend in a particular status
Last Comment - view the latest comment for each issue
Once you've added your columns, you can aggregate the data up the structure. To do so, open the column you want to aggregate and select Sum over sub-items.